Four Qualities of a Great Real Estate Agent
Quality #1: Experience
Quite simply, there is no substitute for experience in today’s ever-changing real estate market. From being able to foresee issues to understanding the intricacies of the various types of real estate transactions, an experienced real estate agent can promote and protect their client’s best interests with ease. Particularly in the luxury real estate sector, where not all agents have experience with seven- and eight-figure real estate deals, experience is crucial.
- Sellers: An experienced agent will have knowledge of pricing, marketing savvy, global connections and a book of clientele needed to make the sale of your home as smooth and successful as possible.
- Buyers: An experienced agent will be able to listen to your wants and needs and match you with the community and home to exceed them. He or she will also have knowledge of unlisted properties that less experienced and connected agents simply do not.
Quality #2: Market Knowledge
Why buy and sell real estate with an agent that doesn’t know the lay of the land? Knowledge of the market – whether buying or selling – is crucial to your success. A good agent should introduce you to up-and-coming markets and advise you on market activity in your own neighborhood.
- Sellers: An agent with strong market knowledge can advise you of current market trends and pricing strategies. He or she can show you comparable homes that have and have not sold in your area.
- Buyers: One of the most important services that buyers should look
for is an agent’s knowledge of the market.
That means introducing you to the communities and neighborhoods that best suit your lifestyle. It also means knowing market trends and having the transactional technical skills to give you an advantage in making offers and negotiations. A good agent can also give you advice on area doctors, banks, churches, schools and more
Quality #3: Marketing & Technology
As the real estate industry changes, an agent's marketing abilities and use of technology are becoming more important. Your agent should be at the forefront, leveraging all new venues available. In an age where more than 90 percent of home buyers start their search online, a good real estate agent should have an elegant, up-scale online presence needed to capture buyers. Furthermore, a quality agent needs to have the technology resources available to both buyers and sellers to make communication effortless.
- Sellers: A great real estate agent should have a global online presence that allows buyers to quickly find and view your property. An excellent agent should also be immediately available to potential buyers through the use of technology.
- Buyers: While it may not seem like technology and marketing savvy would be important to the purchase of a home, it is. Particularly in the luxury sector, where many buyers and investors are purchasing from outside of the immediate area, ease of communication can be key. From sending video tours of properties to emailing available listings, you’d be surprised how much technology is involved in purchasing a property.
Quality #4: Resources & Connections
Having excellent resources and connections in the real estate industry can mean everything from knowing the right home inspector or handyman to having the area’s best closing attorney and mortgage professional on speed dial.
If you’ve found a real estate agent that’s made it through the first three qualities, he or she is likely to possess the fourth. With experience, knowledge of the market and marketing savvy, a great real estate agent will have made countless connections along the way and will be able to easily provide you with a list of recommended sources for a variety of needs.